South Carolina Collection FAQs

  1. Do you have birth certificates or death certificates?
    • We have access to death certificates from 1915-1961 via We do not have birth certificates. You will need to contact the Division of Vital Statistics, 2600 Bull Street,  Columbia, SC 29201 or call 803-734-4380. You can find the order forms online.
  2. Do you have copies of marriage licenses?
    • Yes! We have marriage records for Anderson County on microfilm from 1911-1956. If you need a different date, contact the Division of Vital Statistics or the Anderson County Probate Judge’s office at 100 S. Main St., PO Box 8002, Anderson, SC 29622.
  3. Where can I find old land deeds for Pendleton District?
    • We do have land deeds from Pendleton District on microfilm from 1790-1826. Our microfilm deed records for Anderson County cover 1790-1900.
  4. Will I need to go to the Anderson County Courthouse for indexes to land deeds between 1790-1900?
    • No, we have microfilm grantor/grantee indexes for 1790-1940. The Courthouse Annex will have deeds from 1900 to the present.
  5. Will you research the Doe family in upstate South Carolina?
    • We are happy to look for a specific person in a specified set of documents such as a will, deed, or book. However, because of staffing limitations, we cannot conduct extensive research. The Anderson County Genealogy Society has a research room and may conduct some searches upon request. Email the genealogy society for more information.
  6. Do you have records for areas other than Anderson?
    • The majority of our resources are specifically for Anderson County. We do have some resources for counties surrounding Anderson County. We will be happy to direct you to other libraries or agencies that may have the material you need.
  7. Do you have family files or working genealogies?