The South Carolina Room has been collecting genealogy and local history materials since 1906. Staff at the Genealogy and Local History desk can help you explore Anderson County’s robust collections of family histories; local histories; censuses, probate, deed, court, tax, and cemetery records; military rosters; periodicals; genealogical guides; and reference works.
- Monday – Thursday
- 9 am – 9 pm
- 9 am – 6 pm
- 9:30 am – 6 pm
- 2 pm – 6 pm
Using the South Carolina Room
- The collection is primarily for research on-site. Some materials may be checked out.
- No materials are available for Interlibrary Loan.
- A copy machine is available; copies are 10 cents per page.
- Microfilm reader/printers are available; printouts are 20 cents per page.
- The staff is happy to help patrons locate materials and make research suggestions, but cannot do genealogical research for patrons.
- The staff will respond to postal mail, e-mail, or telephone inquiries that require checking indexes for a specific name (see below for obituary requests).
- Staff is unable to do research or make extensive numbers of copies.
- Charges for inquiries are 25 cents per copy, plus a $2.00 service charge.
- Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope with sufficient postage to cover your request.
- Mail requests to South Carolina Room, Anderson County Library, 300 N McDuffie St., Anderson, SC 29621.
- Make checks payable to Anderson County Library.
- Try the new Local Obituary Index
- To obtain copies of obituaries, send your request plus $1.25 per obituary and a self-addressed stamped envelope with sufficient postage to: South Carolina Room, Anderson County Library, 300 N McDuffie St., Anderson, SC 29621.
- You must submit at least a month and year for the death date.
- Due to staffing limitations, we cannot copy more than ten (10) obituaries per mail request.
- Please do not send a second request while you have a request pending.
- Allow two to three weeks for a reply.