The South Carolina Collection contains unique and rare genealogy and local history materials from Anderson County and surrounding areas dating back to the Revolutionary War. Staff at the Genealogy and Local History desk can help you explore Anderson County’s robust collections of family histories; local histories; censuses, probate, deed, court, tax, and cemetery records; military rosters; periodicals; genealogical guides; and reference works.
NEW! Contribute to Sharing the Journey: Documenting COVID-19 in the Upstate, a local history project in response to the current pandemic by Clemson University Libraries.
- The collection is primarily for research on-site. Some materials may be checked out.
- No materials are available for Interlibrary Loan.
- Microfilm reader/printers are available; printouts are 20 cents per page.
- The staff is happy to help patrons locate materials, make research suggestions, and aid in the use of the collection’s materials, but cannot do genealogical research for patrons.
- The staff will respond to postal mail, e-mail, or telephone inquiries that require checking indexes for a specific name (see below for obituary requests).
- Staff is unable to do research or make extensive numbers of copies.
- Charges for inquiries are 25 cents per copy, plus a $2.00 service charge.
- Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope with sufficient postage to cover your request.
- Mail requests to South Carolina Room, Anderson County Library, 300 N McDuffie St., Anderson, SC 29621.
- Make checks payable to Anderson County Library.
- Try the new Local Obituary Index
- To obtain copies of obituaries, send your request plus $1.25 per obituary and a self-addressed stamped envelope with sufficient postage to: South Carolina Room, Anderson County Library, 300 N McDuffie St., Anderson, SC 29621.
- You must submit at least a month and year for the death date.
- Due to staffing limitations, we cannot copy more than ten (10) obituaries per mail request.
- Please do not send a second request while you have a request pending.
- Allow two to three weeks for a reply.
For more information, email the South Carolina Room or call (864) 260-4500 x130.