SERVICE UPDATE: temporary digital library cards are available for people who live and/or work in Anderson County in response to the COVID19 pandemic.
Call Main Library, 864-260-4500, Mon-Sat 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Sun 2 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Complete a Library Card Application and return it to any library location with proper identification.
- Anyone who lives, works, or owns property in Anderson County, may sign up for a free library card at any branch or the Main Library.
- Proper identification must be presented for all card applications, along with proof of address. See the acceptable forms of identification listed below.
- Children of all ages may have a card of their own; children 16 or older register as adults.
- A parent must sign for a child’s card, presenting proper identification.
- Students in local colleges who are not county residents may receive free cards for the school term.
- Residents of Abbeville, Greenville, Oconee, and Pickens Counties enjoy borrowing reciprocity* with no annual fee. This account has limitations* listed below.
- Non-Residents from other counties must pay an annual fee of $25 to check out materials. This fee is determined by the Board of Trustees based on local support.
- By accepting your library card, you agree to be responsible for the materials you borrow. Occasionally items are lost and if this happens, Anderson County Library will charge the cardholder for the original cost of the material.
- Resident and reciprocal library cards expire every two years, and may be updated at any library location with a picture ID.
- See the Circulation and Library Card Policy for information on loan limits, overdue fees, and more.
- Library card regulations
Some acceptable forms of personal identification
- U.S. State-issued Driver’s License or Identification card
- Military ID
- Resident Alien Card
Some acceptable forms of address verification
- Imprinted check with name and address
- Utility Bill
- Rent Receipt
- Bank Statement
- A postmarked piece of mail received at your current address.
Library card regulations
- You are responsible for all materials checked out on your card, and for all charges and fees made to your account.
- An overdue fee will be charged for material returned past the due date.
- In order to prevent improper use, Library staff should be notified immediately if your card is lost or stolen.
- Library staff should be notified promptly of change of name or address.
- Library cards are not transferable. Only one library card is permitted per person.
*Reciprocal patrons may borrow only physical items owned by the Anderson County Library System. Reciprocal patrons may not borrow eBooks, eAudiobooks, or items from other libraries in the SCLends consortium. Out-of-county residents who wish to use these services may purchase a non-resident card for $25 per year.